Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Skyline Drive in the Blue Ridge Mountains

Skyline Drive is a 105-mile road that runs the entire length of Shenandoah National Park in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia.  We started the drive at Rockfish Gap and ended in Front Royal.  There are 75 overlooks which provide photo opportunities, and I think we stopped at almost every one!  There are also trails for hiking (including a portion of the Appalachian Trail) and horseback riding along with a couple of gift shops and sandwich counters. There are deer, black bears, turkey and other wildlife in the park.




Marys Rock Tunnel


High on a ridge--don't backup!





We got out to stretch our legs on a trail.  I jokingly asked a couple of people if they had run into any bears and one person said he had.  He was going to tell me where he saw it because he thought I wanted to see one too.  I told him that was okay, I'd go in the opposite direction!

No bears on this trail!


We drove through Front Royal, Virginia on our way back to the campground and enjoyed the quaintness of this small valley town.




Next, it's on to Baltimore, Maryland!

No comments:

Post a Comment